Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Wearable Muslin

I made a wearable muslin** of this free BurdaStyle skirt. I love all the pleats, the asymmetry, and the topstitching.

After making up most of it last night, I decided I still love it, but I'm not going to finish this one. The fabric I used (black cotton, with a kind of linen-y texture) just looks cheap made up in this pattern. It just a case of a bad fabric/pattern matchup by me. I was hoping for a cute, season-spanning, casual black skirt, but I'm not loving it. Luckily, I'm not in love with this fabric or anything (it's of really old stash vintage), so no big loss. I'll definitely try the skirt again, probably in wool.

Here's the back:

a pretty simple 4-gore, A-line. I think I'll carry the yoke around to the back for my next version, though.

Here's a close up of all the topstitching. I used regular thread instead of thick topstitching thread because it became quickly apparent that I didn't love this skirt. I still wanted to see how it all looked, though.


Overall, I still LOVE the pattern, but I'll need a nicer fabric to do it justice. Also, it's a bit big (only a 40 is drafted and I'm generally a 36 or 38), so I'll need to alter the pieces a bit for the final version.


** People can get kind of violent with their wearable muslin opinions. "A MUSLIN IS NOT WEARABLE!!" yada yada yada. I make them from time to time if 1) I want to try out a pattern before moving to the "good" fabric (the usual reason for making a muslin) and 2) I have a fabric on hand that may or may not make a great garment, and I won't be devastated if it doesn't pan out. Please don't judge me.

No comments: