Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Rosamund's Cardigan


This is Rosamund's Cardigan from Interweave Knits magazine Fall 2009.
The yarn is Elann's Peruvian Pure Alpaca. The tweedy texture yarn is either out of stock or out of production now. The yarn had been in my stash for several years, and I'm happy to have used it. I love it.
The only changes I made were to adjust the number of stitches for a different gauge and use the stockinette stitch side as the right side. Reverse stockinette always just looks to me like my sweater is inside out! Because of this, the cables don't stand out quite as much as they do on the original, but they're still beautiful.
I also omitted the hooks and eyes down the front and went with the flowy opening.
I really love this sweater and wear it more often than I've worn anything else I've knitted in the past. I love the simplicity of the plain background with just a border of cables. I love the softness and warmth. I love that the opening is off-center. That's what really makes this sweater special, I think.
I also love my pretty buttons. Yea for Jo-Ann's cute buttons!

I made the brown turtleneck from some jersey I picked up at a fabric market here in Germany. The subtle, heathered texture works well with the tweedy yarn, I think, but doesn't compete for attention. The pattern is just my TNT tee shirt which is out of print. I made the turtleneck by folding a leftover rectangle of fabric and stitching it to the neckline. Easy peasy.
Next time, I could make it a bit snugger, but I do like the very subtle drapiness of the neckline.

No comments: