Here is the second of my new spring maternity shirts. This is actually a "test" for one in nicer fabric (although this is some lovely shirting I just got cheap as a remnant at a local store). I don't call it a muslin since I planned to wear it all along if the fit was good enough. Really good thing I did a test, too, not because there was anything wrong with the pattern, but there was significant operator error...
The pattern is Burda 7800. If you've ever sewn a Burda pattern before (which I have - I have no excuse), you know that seam allowances aren't included. You have to add them on yourself. See where this is going??
I just cut the pieces out on auto pilot and didn't add seam allowances. When I realized this (when pieces weren't fitting together at all!), I sewed the shirt together with little 1/4" seams and hoped it would be big enough. This is the result:
Good enough for maternity wear. :-) Actually, I am happy with it. The sleeves are a bit snug (seam allowances) and the neckline is pretty open for a collared shirt (seam allowances), but other than that, it's great. I'm going to forge ahead with the second one in the same size, but WITH the seam allowances added. :-)
Changes I made to this pattern: didn't do the tucks on the upper front section due to the striped fabric, and left off all the buttons. I sewed the placket together to a modest level and left the rest open. I also sewed the sleeve vents closed rather than fiddling with buttons. On the second version, I do have buttons for the placket, but I'm just going to leave the sleeve vent off all together. Just too much trouble for a maternity shirt I'll be wearing for two months, in my opinion. :-)