Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Tweeds

I joined a Chanel Jacket Sew Along to make a Chanel-style jacket (that sounds better than "knockoff" to me), and I decided if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right.  So... I went to theLinton Tweeds website, which apparently supplies Chanel, and requested some swatches.

The samples came today, and I was surprised.  Per the instructions on their website, I told them the colors and textures I was looking for - light colors in textured tweeds suitable for a Chanel-style jacket.  I received the following with a nice letter saying they are the "latest samples from the couture range and as such are unrepeatable."  

Ok.  I don't know.  Don't get me wrong.  They are beautiful... just not what I was expecting.  Here they are:

First, the ones I'm not considering using.  Although, I do think the bottom black and white plaid would make an awesome knee length coat.

Next are some that I like but I'm still not really considering.  The bottom two are too spring-y and I'm not crazy about the metallic threads in them.  I really like the overall effect of the top-left one, but I'm not crazy about the hot pink threads.  I guess I'm still considering that one, though.

These are the three I'm really considering.  I really like the texture of the red and black, but it's really not the colors I was dreaming about.  The blue is also really lovely and is probably the frontrunner at the moment, but I'm not sure how I feel about the navy background.  The brownish one is really textured and the steel-y blues would look great with denim, but I don't know...


Any thoughts?

Am I being too picky?  Almost all of them are $37/yard, which is less expensive than I expected (a nice bonus).  It would still be $80 for the fabric, though, and I don't want to pick something I don't love.  Maybe I'll go back and ask for some light colored swatches, not from the couture range.

2 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Wow, is that US dollars? That's some pricey fabric! You asked for opinions, so here goes. I don't the red would be super flattering on you with your coloring. The white and black one in the middle picture is nice and with all those different threads, it would probably match lots of different things. I also like the bottom brown one. You are right, it would look great with jeans and is very neutral. It would go with lots of stuff too. You have to ask yourself if you want to wear it a lot or just once in awhile. The blue (looks turquoise to me) is nice but also pretty distinctive color. Would it match different outfits? There's my 2 cents, what ever it's worth. Good luck picking your fabrics! I can't wait to see what you decide on.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to getting more information about this topic, don't worry about negative opinions.