I thought I'd try a little stenciling before making this green t shirt. Tonight, I cut out the shirt and pinned some seams. I'll probably get it sewn up during naptime or after the boys' bedtime tomorrow. Here's a little recap of my first stenciling process:
I drew the bamboo picture freehand, based on some pictures I found online. For the stencil, I used a file folder. I taped it onto a cutting mat (a rotary cutter mat for quilting) and taped my drawing on top.
I used a razor to cut through both layers of paper...
I used a stiff, short paintbrush and regular fabric paint, being careful not to slant the brush and get paint underneath the stencil.
I also taped the stencil to the fabric to make sure it didn't shift. Here is the stencil, painted over.
I think it turned out well for my first attempt. It's a pretty subtle effect, which I was going for. We'll see how it looks made up in the shirt tomorrow.