Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Maxi Madness!

Here's my maxi dress!  I'm really happy with it.  As everyone says, it is super comfy.  I don't think it's particularly cool to wear, though.  I wore it while cutting out another pattern and kept hiking it up above my knees because it was HOT!
I'll definitely be wearing this a lot at the beach this fall.  It's really a beach dress... made for days spent lounging and relaxing with a cup of tea (ok, beer) by the water.  How much do I love that both my parents and my in-laws have homes near the water!?  

The back looks a bit crooked in this photo.  I was careful to measure the straps so they were the same length after adjusting them to fit, so maybe it's my body that's crooked.
To make this, I used a Stacy London pattern - Butterick 4657.  It's not made for a knit, but it fit fine with my normal size 10, straight from the envelope.  The back could have been a bit snugger, but I like it a bit loose for comfort (see wearing plan above).  I put in bra cups between the bodice lining and top fabric, and I put inch-wide elastic all around below the bust to keep it close to the body.  The skirt is unlined.  To make the skirt, I just used all the fabric that was left, cut two rectangles as wide as I could and floor length, and then gathered at the center tops to fit the bodice.  For reference, this gave me about 3 inches of ease at the hips.  

Below is a photo taken during construction.  You can see the gathered sections of the bodice overlay were way big in the knit.  This is where a dress form would have come in very handy.  I ended up just draping the bottom of the bodice on me in front of a mirror.  It worked out fine.

No comments: