Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Vogue 1259

Woohoo!  Second day of Me-Made-May!  :-)

Today, I wore a fairly new top that I am quite proud of.  The pattern is Vogue 1259 with some alterations.  I bought this pattern some time ago because I love the look of the top and the top and skirt together.  However, I just don't need any slinky looks like this at the moment.  I figured I could just make the top, but the high neck isn't practical or comfortable for Florida springtime.  I decided to cut it off at a crew-neck but waited until the rest of the top was complete before hacking off the turtleneck.  The pattern pieces are pretty crazy looking, and I was scared of cutting off too much neckline.
Here is my version:
 I started off with the pattern one size smaller than I would take based on my measurements after reading the finished measurements and reading the experiences of others with this pattern being a bit large.  You can see the front drape piece is still less form-fitting than the model's, but that's ok with me since this is basically a jazzed-up tee shirt now.
The one part of my top that I'm not 100% thrilled with is the keyhole opening in the back.  It is a bit wavy, which could have easily been remedied with some strips of interfacing if I had thought of it.  With the lower neckline I made, I dont even really need the opening to get the top on and off, but I think it is still a nice detail on the back.
 Here are a couple more views since every angle is different with this top.  :-) 
 The fabric is a knit from Joann's.  I can't find it online, but I saw some in the store just a couple of days ago.  It is perfect for this top - very lightweight.  I think it is a cotton/poly blend jersey.
To sum up, I really like this top.  I get compliments when I wear it, and it is comfy without looking sloppy at all.  I had to pay close attention during the construction, and there were definitely some moments of confusion, but in the end, I didn't have to rip out any seams, so kuddos to Vogue for making this complicated pattern achievable. :-)

8 comments:

sandysewin said...

What a great idea to make only the top, it looks fantastic.

I was just eyeballin' this pattern the other day, but didn't realize it was a top and skirt. Like you, I reminded myself I do NOT need yet another slinky dress.

Now I may go back and get it. One can always use another nice t-shirt. :-D

Happy creating!

Amanda S. said...

Really cute! I have been eyeballing this pattern for awhile. I also don't have many places to wear such a slinky outfit. Maybe I'll just make the top like you did. Duh!

Linda L said...

I really like your top. You have definitely made this a more interesting pattern making it as a top.

Diana said...

Oh Jenny. This top is so darling on you! I love it! No wonder you are proud of it!

Tampa Bay Lisa said...

Love it!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is such a cute top! Great job :)

Audrey said...

Great top. I can see why you get compliments. I never even noticed this pattern was a top and skirt combo. Got get this pattern.