Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Vogue 1259

Woohoo!  Second day of Me-Made-May!  :-)

Today, I wore a fairly new top that I am quite proud of.  The pattern is Vogue 1259 with some alterations.  I bought this pattern some time ago because I love the look of the top and the top and skirt together.  However, I just don't need any slinky looks like this at the moment.  I figured I could just make the top, but the high neck isn't practical or comfortable for Florida springtime.  I decided to cut it off at a crew-neck but waited until the rest of the top was complete before hacking off the turtleneck.  The pattern pieces are pretty crazy looking, and I was scared of cutting off too much neckline.
Here is my version:
 I started off with the pattern one size smaller than I would take based on my measurements after reading the finished measurements and reading the experiences of others with this pattern being a bit large.  You can see the front drape piece is still less form-fitting than the model's, but that's ok with me since this is basically a jazzed-up tee shirt now.
The one part of my top that I'm not 100% thrilled with is the keyhole opening in the back.  It is a bit wavy, which could have easily been remedied with some strips of interfacing if I had thought of it.  With the lower neckline I made, I dont even really need the opening to get the top on and off, but I think it is still a nice detail on the back.
 Here are a couple more views since every angle is different with this top.  :-) 
 The fabric is a knit from Joann's.  I can't find it online, but I saw some in the store just a couple of days ago.  It is perfect for this top - very lightweight.  I think it is a cotton/poly blend jersey.
To sum up, I really like this top.  I get compliments when I wear it, and it is comfy without looking sloppy at all.  I had to pay close attention during the construction, and there were definitely some moments of confusion, but in the end, I didn't have to rip out any seams, so kuddos to Vogue for making this complicated pattern achievable. :-)

8 comments:

sandysewin said...

What a great idea to make only the top, it looks fantastic.

I was just eyeballin' this pattern the other day, but didn't realize it was a top and skirt. Like you, I reminded myself I do NOT need yet another slinky dress.

Now I may go back and get it. One can always use another nice t-shirt. :-D

Happy creating!

Amanda S. said...

Really cute! I have been eyeballing this pattern for awhile. I also don't have many places to wear such a slinky outfit. Maybe I'll just make the top like you did. Duh!

Linda said...

I really like your top. You have definitely made this a more interesting pattern making it as a top.

Diana said...

Oh Jenny. This top is so darling on you! I love it! No wonder you are proud of it!

Tampa Bay Lisa said...

Love it!!

Trisha Eardley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...

That is such a cute top! Great job :)

Audrey said...

Great top. I can see why you get compliments. I never even noticed this pattern was a top and skirt combo. Got get this pattern.