I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Linen tunic

Here's my last top for the SWAP I joined a while ago.  Just have to fix a pair of pants and finish the jacket by the end of April.  I can't believe I'm actually going to finish!

The pattern is New Look 6849.  It's just your basic tunic top.  The only really interesting thing is I added gathering on the neckline and sleeve facings.  I did this by redrafting the facing pattern pieces, multiplying the lengths by 1.5 and keeping the width the same.  This got a little tricky on the curves, but it worked out as I envisioned it, so it's a success in my book.  :-)
Again, we have back wrinkles from the fabric having to pull around front to cover the belly!
Here's a better picture of the gathers.  I used a pretty large hand running stitch to do the gathering.  I wanted a big, uneven kind of gather.
Here's a look at the inside of the neckline.  I hand stitched the edges in place to avoid any stitching showing on the right side.  To finish all the seams, I zigzagged in the seam allowance and trimmed close to that stitching.

Off to do my pattern review!  I'll have another new top (not part of the SWAP) to share tomorrow or Tuesday.  


KellysSewing said...

I love your tunic and the design changes you made to the collar are what sets it off. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Wow Honey, you will be able to join Project Runway for the upcoming season. You continue to amaze me! Great Job! Love, Mom