I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Progress on my Coat

So I decided to just go for it and started constructing my coat shell last weekend, before the instructions on the coat sew-along blog were posted.  Here it is so far.  It looks a lot like my muslin since it's a creamy white color wool flannel.  You may notice it's a bit shorter than my muslin was.  This is totally a result of material constraints.  I bought the fabric before I had a pattern in mind, and it's a miracle I got all the pieces cut out.  I should have bought more fabric.  Anyway, I think I'll be just as happy with a shorter length coat (as opposed to knee length).  It means less white wool to get dirty.

After I took the above picture,  I made my bound button holes.  This is only the second garment where I have used this button hole technique, so I'm pretty happy with the results.  In the picture, the lengths look a bit uneven.  I'll have to check that out tomorrow.  I'm spent for this evening.

Next, I think I'll put on the facings for the front, and then the collar (connects to the funny curved shoulder piece, not the fronts), and finally the sleeves.  I'm still a bit undecided about the horizontal pockets and flaps.  I left space for the inseam pockets, but I accidentally (wasn't thinking) sewed the horizontal pockets closed.  I'll have to check those out and decide if I should just take out that stitching or do some kind of welt.  I'm not sure, and of course, being a Marfy pattern, there are no instructions.  I must admit, I'm finding that pretty liberating.  I just do what I think should be done next.  So far, it seems to be working out ok...

No comments: