Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

on to the sewing part of my life...

Here are some sewing project ideas I would like to complete before the summer is over.

First, these are pieces for a tote bag. I made up the pattern by looking at one I bought and love. The colors are obviously not for a girly-girl like me. This one will be for a friend. I really hope it turns out nicely, though, because I bought all of this gorgeous stripe and toile fabric to make more...
If it they do turn out well, I will post my made-up pattern and directions here. This weekend, I'm bumming use of an embroidery machine from a friend. We're going to try to embroider names on the tote pockets.

Next is some gorgeous blue linen I bought for a dress. It's so light and has such a wonderful drape (I actually think it is a linen-cotton blend of sorts) I'm thinking something floaty and strapless. ...and if the top doesn't, um, stay up, I can always add some straps later. Here is the fabric and the pattern I plan to use. The color shows up on my monitor very accurrately.

This is a pattern I want to sew, but I haven't found the right fabric yet. Besides, how many dresses does a girl who wears a uniform every day need? I'm thinking something with a virtical stripe. I like the way the example on the right looks.

Finally, a dud online purchase. :-( This looked so beautiful on the screen! I thought it would make a pretty, chic sheath. It's drapery material, but I've found great fabric suitable for a dress that way before. Some home dec fabrics have really pretty patterns that are sophisticated. Anyway, I did not love it so much when it arrived at my mailbox. I don't like the feel of the fabric, and it is as washed out as it appears on the screen here. The photo on the web site was overly flattering. I'm not sure what I'll do with this. It will definitely go in the stash. It could be useful to make a muslin for some home dec project... not that I'm planning one any time in the near future.
I have a reasonably large knitting stash, but I'm just starting to work on a sewing stash. I learned to sew from my mother, who never bought material without a project in mind. Hence, no real stash to speak of (until she started quilting). So when I started up sewing again, I didn't buy fabric without the plan and time time to complete it. In the past year or so, though, I've definitely fallen behind and don't see myself catching up with my visions any time soon, so I guess you could say I've developed a fabric stash.

No comments: