Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Cute Little Baby Sweaters

Here are two of my most recent creations (most recent successful creations, at least). Both are for my son who is now four months old. I tried to get him to model them but quickly realized that he has far outgrown both.

I am definitely what I call a "selfish knitter." 90% of the things I make are for myself - mostly sweaters. Having a baby is slowly changing that. I do love the instant gratification of knitting for him, even on small needles. These sweaters are both wonderfully soft, and the buttons and snaps in front made for easy changing.

Neither really came from a pattern. I own a bunch of knitting books but hardly ever actually follow a pattern. They are more for inspiration and size reference. This fly-by-the-seat-of my-pants attitude makes for a LOT of frogging, which drives my husband nuts!!

The first sweater is made from four colors of some cotton-blend yarn I had left over from making my nephew a sweater - dark and light blue, tan, and white. I knit it in a slip-stitch pattern that I made up (but I'm sure it's not original).
This sweater, hat, and socks set is knit in elann.com's Baby Silk yarn, which I ADORE! Now I am working on two sweaters for myself in this yarn... wonder if they'll ever get finished. I loosely based this cardigan off of one in a beautiful Debbie Bliss baby book. The one in the book was a pullover, but I thought a cardi would be more practical for a tiny baby. I would like to make the pullover for him this winter... but out of a yarn that is machine washable!

No comments: