Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

McCalls 6032

Here is my McCalls 6032 dress that I introduced here.

It was very straightforward to put together. In this view, the twisted belt piece covers the detail that I showed in my last post. I omitted the zipper and added an identical belt on the back of my dress. This pattern can be used with either knits or wovens. If you used a woven and needed the zipper, you couldn't add the belt like I did. This dress turned out a smidge big, probably because of the woven/knits combo pattern, and I used jersey. I made a 10 with no alterations. If I were to make it again (and I think I will make one shortened to a top), I would make an 8.

The fabric is a rayon jersey from Ressy's Fabric Co-op. It's easy to join the co-op, but Ressy is on a hiatus right now and there's no fabric available.

I wore this dress to church this past Sunday with a cami underneath and a cardi overtop. The front and back are low, but just high enough to not show my bra. I could wear it without a cami somewhere other than church. :-)

Close-up of the front bodice and belt. I finished the armholes with narrow, soft elastic for stability with stretch.

View of the inside. There is a facing for the whole bodice that has an elastic casing at the bottom. I have to adjust it when I first put on the dress, but after that, it stays put.

I didn't match up the floral when I cut. They are so big that I thought they'd benefit from being broken up a bit.

I did a pattern review here.

7 comments:

sdBev said...

Gee I envy you, beautiful new dress and warm weather to wear it in. Seriously this dress is a winner!

Amy said...

I love that fabric! Your new dress looks wonderful on you.

Amanda S. said...

Very pretty! I especially LOVE the fabric. Blues and yellows mixed in a print is one of my favorite color combos. Great job!

dina jones said...

That looks wonderful, from fabric choice to fit ... I'm envious.

dina in kc, mo

Unknown said...

Cute dress, and I am in love with that fabric! So special.

Adrienne said...

Very pretty!

Peggy's Closet said...

This is a great dress! I love the style--I am going have to get this pattern!--and the fabric is gorgeous!! ~ Peggy http://peggyscloset.blogspot.com/