Forward

I have moved! Please check out my newest creativity at www.southshorehandmade.blogspot.com.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Circle Skirt/Me Made May 30

First, thanks soooo much for all the nice comments on my last dress. I really like it, and it's so nice to hear positive encouragement. :-)

I made this skirt in about 2 hours, and it may be my favorite thing I've made in the past 3 months. :-) Don't you love when the simplest things are the best? The fabric is Kazuri from Sawyer Brook, a simple cotton with a bit of spandex with a really cool print. With all the circle motifs, I couldn't think of anything better to make than a circle skirt. (actually, it's a half-circle)


To make it, I measured my waist where I wanted it to sit, made a strip that length plus 1" for seams for the waistband, and used that good ol' 2*Pi*R = circumfrence to figure out the diameter of the inner half circle to fit around my waist. Make any sense?


Here's a look at the waistband. I used a regular zipper since that's what I had handy, but I'm really only loving invisible zippers lately, since I figured out how to put them in pretty painlessly. This is fine for this casual skirt.


I love so many things about this skirt - the print of the fabric, the swishiness but closeness to my hips, and the fact that I didn't use a pattern at all! I can see myself making more of these.

I wore this for my baby's first birthday... how did he turn one year old? Doesn't he know he's supposed to be my baby forever?

2 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Very cute skirt. Yes, it's fun when you design and make something yourself. I haven't sewn very much since the kids (now adults) were little and I travel too much now to have my sewing machine at hand very often, but I sure do love measuring the grand kids and designing knit and crochet garments for them while I am traveling. It's just such a fun sense of accomplishment that feels even better when someone else appreciates it, too. :)

Very best,
Lois

Unknown said...

Great job on making the skirt without a pattern! What's your secret for installing invisible zippers? I don't have an invisible zipper foot for my machine, so if you have any tips, I'd appreciate them!